Share | 

Hydraulic winches?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
BroncoJack
NEED MORE ACTION
NEED MORE ACTION

PostSubject: Hydraulic winches?   Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:12 am

At one of the local junkyards here in deland there are a few older tow trucks and i am already planning on getting the PTO off of one to either run hydraulics or pneumatics and there still a few of the heavy duty winches on the back of said tow trucks. i was thinking of getting 2 of them for the front and rear of my bronco but i was told that hydraulic winches are slow but dont have any of the drawbacks of electric winches. I just wanted to see what you all thought. i ran it by my friends in Gator4x4 up in gainesville but they cant get past the idea of things weighing too much but i have a bronco and stock they weigh 3 tons so i dont care about that. so let me know what you think
Back to top Go down
2grand4uu
WHEELER MASTER
WHEELER MASTER

PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic winches?   Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:34 pm

BroncoJack wrote:
At one of the local junkyards here in deland there are a few older tow trucks and i am already planning on getting the PTO off of one to either run hydraulics or pneumatics and there still a few of the heavy duty winches on the back of said tow trucks. i was thinking of getting 2 of them for the front and rear of my bronco but i was told that hydraulic winches are slow but dont have any of the drawbacks of electric winches. I just wanted to see what you all thought. i ran it by my friends in Gator4x4 up in gainesville but they cant get past the idea of things weighing too much but i have a bronco and stock they weigh 3 tons so i dont care about that. so let me know what you think

well , if you dont care about the idea of being a lil bit more heavy than normal then go with that. They are very efficient and HD. This thing will never over heat and you can use it all day long with out breaking it.
Back to top Go down
http://xtreme4x4adventures.forumotion.com
pilotbuggy
NEED MORE ACTION
NEED MORE ACTION

PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic winches?   Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:59 pm

I had the worst luck with my hydrolic winch. When you roll over and have to right your rig with your own winch, just remeber that your engine has to be running in order for the winch to work... Engines dont like to run upside down or on there side. just saying.
Back to top Go down
BroncoJack
NEED MORE ACTION
NEED MORE ACTION

PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic winches?   Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:39 pm

i thought about that. im thinking of only putting the hydraulic winch on the back of my truck and use it to recovery. i talked to other people about it and they are only designed to run a specific RPM and you run the risk of blowing a hydraulic line.
Back to top Go down
pilotbuggy
NEED MORE ACTION
NEED MORE ACTION

PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic winches?   Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:18 pm

For the rear of the rig?? That would suck. You would hav to run the hydro lines all the way from your pump to the back of the truck (added weight) AND the fact that those hydro winches are slow as honey. Under full load (with a stock pump) it pulls like 2 feet per minute... I upgraded my pump and at full load it pulled like 3 feet per minute AT FULL LOAD... Needless to say... After I went wheeling in the woods and got into a REALLY BAD situation with my old LandCruiser in Tellico, I ran out of gas (long story) but I had my winch line tight when I ran out of gas and I couldnt get the truck freed of the winchline until I got the engine running.. I SOLD THAT POS AS SOON AS I GOT BACK FROM TELLICO.... I got a warn 9.5ti with synthetic rope, and havn't EVER looked back. Hell, I couldnt even sell that winch for $300.00 because nobody wanted a hydro winch... From one wheeler to another,,, please heed my advise and stay the hell away from hydro winches.. Your steering pump is under extreme pressures anyways running any tire over 35's No need to stress it even more.
Back to top Go down
Dirty
Regular Wheeler
Regular Wheeler

PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic winches?   Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:26 pm

GOOD POINT
Back to top Go down
BroncoJack
NEED MORE ACTION
NEED MORE ACTION

PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic winches?   Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:18 am

thanks for the advice. that is the most anybody knew about them with first hand experience. i was going to run it off a pto on the transmission instead off the power steering. i have an electric winch in the front of my bronco now. i saw a chance to get a very powerful winch off a tow truck for cheap but im going to reconsider it now. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic winches?   

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic winches?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Xtreme 4x4 Adventures :: THE HANG OUT SPOT :: General-
Jump to: